Uninsured Ombudsman Program
We Are Here to Help
The Uninsured Ombudsman Program assists consumers who:
have no health insurance
are about to lose health insurance
cannot afford to purchase health insurance
We can help you:
explore available state and federal programs
review coverage options and locate resources to help reduce your medical costs
understand your continuation rights and responsibilities under your existing health plan
If you lost your job-based health insurance, you may qualify for:
continuation of your employer-based plan under state and federal law
Contact your employer or the U.S. Department of Labor 866-444-3272www.dol.gov/general/topic/health-plans/cobra
Get Covered Illinois (GCI) is the official ACA Health Insurance Marketplace for the state of Illinois and a division of the Illinois Department of Insurance.
GCI helps you:
- find free enrollment assistance to shop for health plans that meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- find out if you qualify for financial assistance to lower your monthly premiums
You may also be eligible a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) - Qualifying Life Events, such as losing job-based health coverage, getting married or having a baby.
- For more information about health plans on the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace, visit https://getcovered.illinois.gov or call 1-866-311-1119.
- Medicaid and other medical benefits
- Application for Benefits Eligibility 800-843-6154 https://abe.illinois.gov/abe/access/
For more information, visit IDOI Consumer Health Insurance or call the
Office of Consumer Health Insurance (OCHI) 1-877-527-9431.
PROGRAMS MANAGED BY VARIOUS FEDERAL AND STATE AGENCIES:
GET COVERED ILLINOIS
ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF HEALTHCARE AND FAMILY SERVICES
Information on programs offered at:
APPLICATION FOR BENEFITS ELIGIBILITY (ABE)
HEALTH CARE SERVICES FOR HIV
SENIOR HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN (SHIP)
Assists Medicare eligible consumers.
Covers seniors 65 and older, the disabled under 65 and people with End-Stage Renal Disease.
Medical, limited dental and vision coverage for an affordable monthly premium.
DEPARTMENT OF SPECIALIZED CARE FOR CHILDREN
For families and children with special needs.
HILL-BURTON FREE CARE PROGRAM
Reduced fee services at certain health care facilities.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR